About David Webster
David Webster was born in Chicago and raised there and in Winnetka, Illinois, where he attended New Trier Township H.S. East. His bachelor’s degree is from Williams College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated magna cum laude, with honors in history. David’s junior year was spent on exchange at Wellesley College. His law degree is from the University of Virginia School of Law.
Upon graduation from law school, David joined the Chicago law firm Winston & Strawn, one of oldest in Chicago and largest in the United States. He was elected a partner in six years and remained at the firm until he was chosen to be a White House Fellow on the basis of a national, non-partisan competition. For the year of his fellowship and thereafter, David held two positions. He served as Special Assistant to the Director of the FBI and as Assistant General Counsel for Multilateral Negotiations at the United States Arms Control and Disarmament Agency. Among the treaties and agreements he worked on in the latter position, typically overseas, were the review and extension process for the Treaty on Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, the Treaty on Reduction of Conventional Armed Forces in Europe, the Treaty on Open Skies, and the U.S.-Soviet Joint Verification Experiment Agreement for monitoring reciprocal underground testing of nuclear weapons.
David next served as general counsel at three different companies: the global management consulting firm A. T. Kearney, Inc., Hawaiian Airlines, Inc., and what is now Adtalem Global Education. He has owned and operated the David Webster Law Office since 2008.
His community and professional involvement has been extensive. He has served on the governing boards of several non-profit organizations (including Holy Family Ministries, Episcopal Charities and Professional Services, the Illinois State Historical Society, and WBEZ Chicago Public Radio) and has chaired the boards of three of them (the Illinois Society for the Prevention of Blindness, Orchard Village, and Seabury-Western Theological Seminary, which awarded him an honorary doctorate of divinity degree (D.D.) in 2000). He has served as an elected trustee of the Village of Winnetka, Illinois. He has been an active member of his Williams College class, serving subsequent to graduation a five-year term as its president. He is an experienced public speaker, a contributor to newspapers and magazines, and, in his spare time, he provides historical fact-checking for various New York publishing houses.
David is married, and he and his wife have one child, a daughter.
- J.D., The University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia
- B.A., Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts (magna cum laude with honors in history; elected to Phi Beta Kappa)
- Wellesley College, Wellesley, Massachusetts (spent junior year of college at Wellesley as participant in 12-College Exchange Program)
- Honorary Doctorate of Divinity – Seabury-Western Theological Seminary, Evanston, Illinois
- Vice President and General Counsel – Adtalem Global Education, Inc. (Downer’s Grove, Illinois)
- Vice President and General Counsel – Hawaiian Airlines (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- Vice President and General Counsel – A.T. Kearney, Inc. (Chicago, Illinois)
- Assistant General Counsel – U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency (Washington, D.C.)
- Special Assistant to the Director – Federal Bureau of Investigation (Washington, D.C.)
- White House Fellow (Washington, D.C.)
- Winston & Strawn – Partner (Chicago, Illinois)
Other Activities, Interests, and Recognitions :
- White House Fellows Association (Washington, DC)
- Illinois Secretary of State’s Advisory Committee on Illinois Business Corporation Act (Participated in drafting the current Illinois Business Corporation Act.)
- Trustee, Village of Winnetka, IL
- President and CEO, Orchard Village, Skokie, IL (Operates group homes and programs for the developmentally disabled.)
- Chair, Programming & Strategic Planning Committee, Board of Directors, WBEZ Chicago Public Radio.
- President, Illinois Society for the Prevention of Blindness (Chicago, IL)
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Seabury-Western Theological Seminary (Evanston, IL)
- Member, Board of Directors, Holy Family Ministries (Chicago, IL)
- Member, Board of Directors, Illinois State Historical Society (Springfield, IL)